Monday, November 30, 2009

top five alternative bedtime hour shows...

5. I remember the evening that Robert Smith from the Cure was supposed to call in from London as being rather strange. He was late and I had my doubts that he was going to call at all, even tho it had been promised to us. DJ Paul Dhingra and I jokingly decided that it was necessary to consult a ouija board for the answer. With Chris and Cossey quietly beating away underneath us, I layed the board on the console that I was operating the show with, we placed our hands on the device and posed the question "Will Robert Smith call tonite?" Immediately all of the lights on the radio console board went dead. I couldn't turn the mics on, I couldn't do anything. The only source of audio that remained was the Chris and Cossey vinyl that was hauntingly playing in the background. I oddly could continue to use the turntables and CD players, but that was about it. That evenings ABH was all about the music, nothing else was heard. Needless to say, when I called "Geets" to tell him of the news, he was not pleased. Understandably so. He had to make an emergency run out to our studios in Brampton to check on the board and fix the problem. A word of it was never said on the air. Robert Smith never called. All was back to normal at midnight.

1 comment:

  1. Great story. Robert Smith + unexplained things + radio = good stuff.

    ReplyDelete