Thursday, December 3, 2009

3rd... o.k., you get the gist of it now...

3. Not a very pleasant show, but certainly memorable. It was around 11:30 one nite, I was in the middle of another blissful musical journey, the studio lights were low, the speakers were blaring whatever it was I had found to mix into the next tune, when a complete stranger walked into the studio. He had brownish curly hair, wasn't tall but was quite stalky and awkward. I had no idea who he was. I continued my mix and then asked for his name and with an insecure coolness asked what he was doing in the station so late at night. Apparently Brother Bill had let this complete stranger in, even directed him towards the on-air booth. Cautiously I asked if he was lost and it was clear that he was there to meet me and contribute to the show. Now, listen, dear reader, i'm cool with alot of things, but I have to admit I was alittle nervous by his presence. Somehow I convinced him that I needed complete concentration in order to complete the rest of the evening, put on a long tune and slowly walked him out, down the long hallway, towards the exit.

After questioning Brother Bill about it, (its cool... Brother Bill is the kind of soul you could never have a disagreement with) I headed back into the studio, put "Mike" the stranger out of my mind and finished up another evening of "the spirit".

Did you ever see the old CFNY studios? During my time, they were in Brampton on Kennedy Road, the second floor of a somewhat unassuming plaza with a rather large parking lot to support it. At midnight, my car, Brother Bills and the occaisional restaurant gobbler were the only folks to inhabit it. When I reached the bottom of the stairs at the beginning of the parking area, there was Mike. Mike was a soft spoken and sadly confused individual. He told me of his dreams. He told me of his dead mother. He told me that his dead mother had told him to marry me in one of those dreams. He was there to collect, me. After 15 or so minutes of his story, I told him I was married. That his mother must have confused me with someone else. That he was a lovely soul. I said goodnite, put the keys in the ignition, waved goodbye and never saw Mike again.

No comments:

Post a Comment