Thursday, December 10, 2009

my favorite alternative bedtime hour memory...

1.  O.k., so it wasn't my resignation.  My most memorable Bedtime moment was a request show. 
Too be honest, I don't really remember when it was, I do remember that it was in the summer and it was our first of this kind. 

Somehow we discovered a mobile microphone.  I would sometimes use it live on the air to go through Alan Cross's desk drawers or visit some of the quieter spots of the station during the occaisional late night prowl.  However the true test of its range came when I decided to do a request show from the parking lot of 83 Kennedy Road.  Paul Dhingra fielded phone calls and ran the board back inside the station, while I, with barely audible headphones and a crazy ass mic ventured out into outside territory.

We were skeptical as to wether or not it would logistically work.  Was the microphone powerful enough?   Would it sound terrible for such an intimate luscious show?  Would anyone request anything?

Well, dear reader and possible past bedtime hour listener,  it was magical.  Not only did people make the trip to the parking lot to request a song (one person i remember arrived all the way from downtown near the end of the hour) but the headlights on from the parked cars in the dark, on a hot summer nite, were glorious to view.   There must have been 10 to 15 cars.  Some just curious, others completely in the moment.  A nite I will always remember.

So, there ya go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment