Saturday, December 26, 2009

Evelyn Elwell (Major)

My mom was from a small town. Or what was certainly a small town in 1934…. Oshawa… my moms memories of Oshawa were wonderful. Lots of kids to play with, skating, being outside all of the time, two wonderful loving parents…. It was bliss and remained some of the greatest memories of her life. Even up until the end.

Later in life, she worked on building her bookkeeping business, proudly helped to put her two children thru post secondary education, did some traveling with her hubby, took on the role of grandmother, took good care of her own mother kitty and lived a life.

14 years ago, my mom had a stroke. And even tho she often tried to rise above it with what at the time seemed like little damage, it sometimes got the best of her.

In the last few years of her life, it made life alittle more uncomfortable.

And even tho it has been difficult, for her and those of us that she has left behind, here are the things that I will remember most about my mom….

That small town girl. She was sunshine. When she worked our family store cindiloowho, she talked to everyone. Loved it. Jokingly threatening to keep all the babies to herself…. Coming up with incredible stories about where pieces came from…. She was the kind of person that would welcome a complete stranger in… she was giving and always warm. To this day, people ask me about her… remember her. Comment about her kindness.

Her love of animals and nature. Creating complete raccoon and squirrel epidemics wherever we lived. Neighbours were mad, the animals were happy. We didn’t mind. Nuts were left on window sills, babies had shelter in our backyard. She had every dog in the neighbourhood surrounding our first store, scratching at the door at nite when we closed, expecting that kind lady with the dog bisquit.

She was proud. Proud of her grandchildren definetly, but highly proud of my sister and I. Education was a must and she did everything she could to ensure that we worked hard and accomplished something of ourselves. I watched her beam as she explained her daughter the lawyer/academic or the radio gal that loved music.

Really never had a bad thing to say about anyone. Lord knows she had lots of reasons to blast my father Vince for leaving us in such a mess in California, but she left it up to me to decide. Even when I asked for the horrific details, she allowed me the oppourtunity to meet him first when I was 21 and find out for myself with a clean slate. Then talked about her real feelings when I got home. My mom was the kind of soul that believed if you didn’t have something nice to say about someone, don’t say it at all.

Again…. She was sunshine. Its no wonder her favorite colour was always yellow. She passed away in the morning on the only sunny day we’ve had in the last little while. I’m certain she chose it.

My mom was a free spirit. And now she’s truly free.

No comments:

Post a Comment